Wiggle Worms & Spooky Spiders Dirt Pudding Recipe
Wiggle Worm Dirt Pudding definitely makes kids squirm with delight – especially during the Halloween season. Surf Sweets decided to take the recipe to new creep-out levels by adding its latest gummy creation: the super plump Spooky Spiders!
At Surf Sweets, we take pride in our all-natural, better-for-you, made in the USA candy and want as many people as possible to indulge in a special treat every once in a while. We also love to applaud and highlight other companies who have similar values about the foods we eat. For instance, we used Dr. Oetker Organic Chocolate Pudding, which has only four simple ingredients and is GMO-free just like our candy. We then layered the pudding with crushed gluten-free KinniToos Chocolate Vanilla Sandwich Cookies from Kinnikinnick Foods, a company dedicated to providing Celiacs, people with Autism and other people with special dietary requirements with an uncontaminated, risk free source of food products.
Surf Sweets is proud to be a National Sponsor of Green Halloween®. Created by a mom looking for healthy, green alternatives for Halloween, Green Halloween has become the go-to source for amazing “eek-o-friendly” ideas that are fun, healthy, affordable, and not-too-time consuming. It inspires parents, children, teachers, schools and other organizations to be healthier in their celebrations, fostering a holiday that is a happy and healthy for our kids and our planet. Thank you Green Halloween for helping to change the tide! Surf Sweets will be supporting Green Halloween by donating 1% of all snack packs sales for the next year. Be sure to have your supply of Surf Sweets on hand. It’s the tastiest, “better for you” candy option. So, swap your conventional candy for something that’s better for you AND the earth.
To help spread some green inspiration for Halloween, here are some creative ideas from Green Halloween. You can learn more about Green Halloween and find additional resources at, www.greenhalloween.org
General ideas for having a Green Halloween
It’s really not ALL about the candy. Kids have the MOST fun when their parents get involved and have fun themselves. Part of being green is focusing on people instead of things, so try to reduce the amount of ‘things’ you incorporate into your Halloween by increasing the focus on fun. Here are some ideas for making your Green Halloween fun for your kids and for you:
- Make a big deal of your child’s costume – getting dressed, taking pictures, etc.
- Have a neighborhood party and forgo trick-or-treating all together. Ask your child’s school to consider making their Halloween celebration green as well.
- Have a charity-themed party. Instead of giving out prizes for games, allow children to pick from a list of charities and make a donation in their name.
- Talk to your neighbors about what they will be giving away in advance. One option is to trick-or-treat only at homes where you know Green Halloween items will be passed out.
- Show your Green by displaying your own Green Halloween sign and ask your Green Halloween neighbors to do the same. Turn looking for the signs into a hunt for treasures. The Green Halloween sign on your own door will announce to trick-or-treaters that they’re in for a great surprise!
- Give kids a full, healthy meal before they go out trick-or-treating so they are not hungry.
If your child does collect candy:
We all know Halloween candy can become a stockpile that lasts for weeks. Candy is fun and delicious, and should be enjoyed. But it’s always smart to set limits, especially you have bags full of candy. Here are some suggestions on how to do just that and make some “better” candy choices.
- Have a candy swap or trade: let your kids swap the conventional candy they collect for a candy that is all natural and organic, like Surf Sweets! Surf Sweets is free of artificial colors and flavors, corn syrup and GMOs. So you can feel good about giving them to your little ones (or indulging yourself!). You can also do a trade and offer little gifts or give them a “pumpkin point” for each piece of candy they collect. Use pumpkin points to “buy” a toy or do a special activity with your child.
- Invite the Halloween Fairy to come to your home. Tell your child a story, or use our book to talk about how the Halloween fairy turns candy into magic fairy dust and so needs as much candy as she can get her hands on. Explain that if a child leaves his bag of candy outside on the porch, the fairy will gladly come to take the candy, and because she will be so grateful for the help with her fairy-dust-making, she’ll leave in the candy’s place a very special gift. Some parents make the exchange while their child is brushing their teeth, others wait until their child is asleep. Either way, make a big deal of it! Act surprised! You may also want to consider letting your child keep a small amount of candy and leaving the rest out for the fairy. Please don’t donate your leftover sweets to charity, though. Other people’s kids don’t need the candy either.
- Let them choose a limited amount of candy to eat (for example, one piece for each year your child is old). In many cities, the leftover candy can be recycled and turned into compost! Just be sure to remove candy from its wrapper first.
Courtesy of Green Halloween®, www.greenhalloween.org
This Thanksgiving holiday, we would like to thank all of our wonderful customers. Your support has helped us bring healthier candy options to families across the country. We would also like to remember the worthwhile causes that partnered with Surf Sweets in 2009:
The Ocean Project – This year we helped The Ocean Project promote the first World Oceans Day (June 8, 2009) with our “Artwork for Kids Contest”. Kids across the country shared their amazing artwork themed “Why I Love the Ocean.”
Green Halloween – We also partnered with Green Halloween on ways to have a more earth-friendly Halloween. Their efforts don’t stop with Halloween. Check out their website as they continue to promote ways to enjoy the holidays that are good for people and good for the planet.
-Surf Sweets donates a portion of the sales of our new Sour Berry Bears snack packs
for the next year to TreeSwing – an inspiring organization dedicated to improving the health of children and preventing childhood obesity.
Please help these valuable organizations by sharing their messages with your friends and family this Thanksgiving. And, don’t forget to include Surf Sweets in your travel plans – they make a perfect snack! We wish everyone a SWEET and healthy Thanksgiving!
As the father of a two year old daughter with peanut allergies, my family is constantly looking for safe, fun and tasty food options. This becomes a tougher challenge around Halloween, as many candies and treats contain peanuts and other common allergens.
This year, Surf Sweets partnered with Betsy Laakso, Director of Research and Development from Enjoy Life Foods,to create three spooky, delicious and allergy-friendly Halloween recipes. In addition to being one of the most creative food developers in the industry, Betsy is an absolute Halloween fanatic. She has one of the most extensive collections of Halloween decorations that I have ever seen and she’s been known to carve as many as 50 jack-o-lanterns to decorate her house!
While you will love all three of our recipes, our personal favorite is the Witch’s Cauldron. It reminds us of a creepy Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup, minus the peanuts, dairy, soy and refined sweeteners.
You can view all our recipes and watch Betsy in action at www.surfsweets.com/fun.php. You can also create your own Halloween treats by using our Sour Worms and Gummy Worms as insects or our Jelly Beans and Gummy Swirls as spooky looking eyes on cakes, cookies and other craft projects.
Please send us your favorite Halloween and holiday recipes. If we feature your idea, we will be sure to send you a Surf Sweets gift pack.
Have a Sweet, Spooky and Safe Halloween!
This year Surf Sweets is proud to partner with our friends at Green Halloween® to promote ways to have a more earth-friendly and healthy Halloween.
Green Halloween is a nonprofit grassroots initiative whose mission is to create healthier, eco-friendly holidays, starting with Halloween. Started by a mother of two, this nationwide movement is all about educating and inspiring communities by showing how easy, affordable and fun it can be to factor our earth and our health into our Halloween celebrations.
Surf Sweets and Green Halloween have put together a downloadable party planning guide (www.surfsweets.com/greenhalloween/
) with fun and useful tips to help inspire your own healthy and Earth-friendly Halloween.
Surf Sweets is also donating a portion of the sales of our new Sour Berry Bear Snack Size Packs for the next year to Treeswing
. This inspiring organization works to improve the health of children and prevent childhood obesity through education and programs. For instance, Treeswing distributed over 6,000 jump ropes to kindergartners in Seattle to get them on the path of being more physically active.
Our snack size packs of gummy candies are perfect for trick-or-treaters. If you can’t find them yet in your store, you can order them online at these great websites. Order soon so you’ll have them in time for Halloween!
http://www.naturalcandystore.com/ – check out their natural candy party mix that includes our snack packs